Julie Thorpe-Lopez Esq.
Location: San Diego, California
Email: Email Me
Julie Thorpe-Lopez is a Partner with Tatro & Lopez, LLP, and represents clients who’ve suffered personal injury as a result of-among other things-motor vehicle collisions, elder abuse, and medical malpractice. Julie also advises nonprofit and other business organizations, and handles business litigation and consumer class action matters. She is frequently requested to speak to other trial attorneys regarding her expertise in ESI discovery, and has been a vanguard in achieving far-reaching results in the field. And as a former social worker, Julie is a compassionate guide and fierce protector of her clients who are often in crisis when they seek her representation.
Julie has been selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers consecutively for the past three years, a distinction awarded to fewer than 3% of attorneys in the state. She serves on the Board of Directors for disABILITY Sports Foundation, a nonprofit organization created to provide sports facilities to disabled individuals and their families. She is the 2018-2019 co-chair of Lawyer’s Club’s Work-Life Balance Committee, and an active member of Lawyer’s Club’s Community Outreach Committee. She provides pro bono legal services for several national and local nonprofit organizations dedicated to raising awareness about perinatal mood disorders, and co-organizes San Diego’s Climb Out of the Darkness walk, an annual international event dedicated to raising awareness of perinatal mood disorders.
After earning a Masters degree in Social Work, Julie earned her J.D. from California Western School of Law, where she was regularly on the Dean’s List, served as an editor of California Western Law Review, and published her article on workplace discrimination. Julie is licensed to practice law in both California and Arizona, where she earned the 3rd highest score in the state on the 2009 Arizona Bar exam.
Areas of Practice
- 85% Litigation
- 15% Business & nonprofit advising
- 85% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 2008
- Arizona, 2009
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. cum laude – 2008
- Law Review: Western Law Review, Editor
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- Major: Psychology and English
- Arizona State University, Phoenix
- Masters of Social Work – 2003
- Honors: With Honors
- America’s Melting Pot: Language Not Included. Workplace Language Discrimination and the European Union as a Model Framework, California Western Int’l Law Journal, Fall 2007
Honors and Awards
- Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2015-present
- 3rd place award, Arizona Bar exam, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- disABILITY Sports Foundation, Board Member, 2017 – Present
- Co-chair, Lawyers Club Work-Life Balance Committee, 2018-2019 Term
- Lawyers Club, Member, 2015 – Present
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, Member, 2009 – Present
- Co-Organizer, Climb Out of the Darkness Annual Event, 2016 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Law Clerk, 2008 – 2009
- U.S. District Court, San Diego CA, Judicial Extern, 2008
- United States Attorney, San Diego CA, Clerk, Civil Division, 2007
- Our Town Family Center, Social Worker, 1999 – 2000
Pro Bono Activities
- Pro Bono attorney, Postpartum Progress, Inc., 2015 – 2017
- Disability Sports Foundation, 2017 – Present
we help you?
bold labels are required